Schedule annual furnace maintenance
In the colder months, heating may account for the largest part of your energy use. Annual maintenance of your heating system will ensure optimal safety and efficiency. It will also reduce the costs of operating your system.
Step by step:
- In the fall or early winter, hire a professional to perform heating system maintenance.
- There is no industry standard for a heating system check-up. See this helpful checklist for a list of maintenance tasks the technician should provide. Ask the technician what specific services will be included to get a sense of how comprehensive the tune-up is.
Good to know:
- Furnace and boiler manufacturers recommend annual maintenance by a qualified technician. Many have language in their warranties saying that damage to the system caused by improper maintenance is not covered under warranty.
- A heating professional can also help you avoid health hazards, such as carbon monoxide leaks.
- Regular maintenance can help you catch a problem before your heating system stops working in the middle of the night on a cold winter night.
- Maintenance will also extend the life of the heating system.