Upgrade to an efficient heating system
Heating can account for a large portion of energy use. If your heating system needs to be replaced, choose an energy-efficient model.
What to look for:
Good to know:
- An efficient model. Whether your heating fuel is gas or electricity, look for the ENERGY STAR® label.
- The right size. Your contractor should use a rigorous method to choose the right size for your home's heating system. He or she should go beyond square footage or the size of your current heating system to make this determination. Consulting current industry standards is key.
- A reputable, licensed contractor. For advice on how to hire a contractor, visit www.energystar.gov.
- Correct placement. When installing a new heating system, your contractor should consult the model's manual carefully to put the unit in the optimal place, including allowing adequate room around the unit to allow for service and maintenance.
- Maintenance: Regular maintenance of your heating system can extend its life.
- Improve insulation and air sealing: Before replacing your heating system, consider improving the insulation and air sealing in your home. This may let you purchase a smaller system.